Creating project variables
Navigate to the project variables page
Steps to create a new project variable
- Sign in to Mingle as a project administrator and open the project (if you're not already working in the project).
Click the Project admin tab.
Mingle displays the Project settings page.
if you are logged in as a project team member, Mingle displays the Team page.
Click the Project variables link.
Mingle displays the Project variables page with all project variables setup for this project.
Create the project variable
Click the Create new project variable link.
Mingle displays the New project variable page.
Assign a name to the project variable...
This is the name which will identify the variable wherever it is used in the project, it should be as succinct and descriptive as possible.
The name should be not blank, should not contain "'&', '=', '#', '"', ';', '[' or ']'" characters, and must be less than 40 characters in length.
Mingle will display how the project variable name will look - all project variable names are enclosed in brackets, e.g. (variable)
While it is possible to use the same name for both a project variable and a card property, it's probably less confusing to avoid doing so.
Select the project variable data type
- Text - any text value of up to 255 characters in length
- Numeric - any numeric value
- Selected from team list - any project team member
- Date - any date
- Card - a reference to a card
Assign a value to the project variable
Enter the value you want to assign to the project variable
- If you chose Text or Numeric then enter the appropriate value in the text box.
- If you chose Selected from team list then select a team member from the displayed list.
- If you chose Date then use the popup calendar to specify a valid date.
If you chose Card then select the card type you want to reference from the list displayed
Select which card properties the project variable can be used with
Card transitions will be able to use the project variable as a value for the selected properties on either side of the transition.
If the property is a managed list, and the value of the project variable does not already exist in the list, then it will be added as a new value. This will happen regardless of whether the property is locked or not. The value will not be removed from the managed list if the project variable is assigned a new value or if the project variable is deleted or renamed.
- Only properties which have the same data type as the project variable will be shown in the list
- If you chose Card then only relationship properties which refer to the same card type as the project variable will be displayed.
Save your work
Click on the Create project variable link to create the project variable