Configuring Murmurs to use an external Jabber chat room
What do you need to configure Murmurs to use an external Jabber chat room?
To use the external chat room capability of Murmurs with your Mingle instance you will need:
- a Jabber server configured and running for use with Mingle.
Mingle is not shipped with a Jabber server. Mingle supports integration with OpenFire Jabber servers. If you wish to use another Jabber server please be aware that this may not function as described.
- a Jabber user set-up for Mingle's use.
Please ensure the Jabber user you give Mingle access to use is specifically created for the purpose and is not been used by another user to access any chat rooms. Any conflict on the Jabber server caused by the same Jabber account logging into a chat room more than once could cause Mingle's integration with the chat room to fail. Please also ensure that the Jabber user you are using is an administrator on the Jabber service and the specific chat group or conference service you have enabled for use with Mingle.
Configuring a Jabber server
- A Mingle admin, using the jabber_config.yml.example file, which can be found in <MINGLE_HOME>/resources/app/config (where <MINGLE HOME> is the directory where Mingle is installed), as an example enter in your Jabber configuration details
- host - location of the host machine, sometimes called Server name, e.g. localhost
- port - Jabber server connection port, port on which the server accepts connections, usually 5222 as this is the standard port for clients to connect to the Jabber server
- conference_service - name of the Jabber server's chat service, provided by the Jabber server, usually conference.host
- mingle_server_bot_login - username of the Jabber server user who has been created to work with Mingle
- mingle_server_bot_password - password of the Jabber server user who has been created to work with Mingle
host: example.org port: 5222 conference_service: conference.example.org mingle_server_bot_login: mingle.robot mingle_server_bot_password: password
Connecting Mingle to a project chat room
Connecting to a Jabber chat room
- Go to Murmurs settings
- Select "Yes" to connect to a Jabber chat room
- Either Mingle can create a project chat room on the server for you or you can enter an existing chat room on your Jabber server and connect to that
- If you want Mingle to create a chat room for you select "Create a new chat room" and save the settings. Mingle will provide you with the chat room id and other chat room details that you may need to connect to the chat room.
- If you want to connect to your existing chat room select "Use existing chat room" and enter your chat room id and save the settings. Mingle will connect to your chat room and begin capturing all chats as Murmurs. Please note that Mingle doesn't support multiple projects connecting to the same chat room. Please ensure each project has its own chat room. If using Mingle's functionality to create chat rooms this will be ensured.
If you have problems connecting to the Jabber server or specific chat room please check your Jabber settings are correct and ensure that the Jabber user you are using is an administrator on the Jabber service and the specific chat group or conference service you have enabled for use with Mingle.